August 2, 2011 Regular Meeting
6:30 p.m. Annual Meeting with Ashland Community Hospital.
The Council met with the Hospital Board Chair Doug Diehl and Chief Executive Officer Mark Marchetti about the Hospital’s performance, their financial condition, and the projects they are currently tackling.
Councilor Voisin read a proclamation declaring August 6, 2011 as Hiroshima Day and August 9, 2011 as Nagasaki Day.
Mayor Stromberg welcomed Jackson County Commissioner Don Skundrick to the meeting.
Consent items were approved including:
1. Minutes of the Boards, Commissions and Committees
2. A Liquor License Application for Ruby’s Neighborhood Restaurant on Pioneer Street
3. A recommendation from the Public Art Commission to implement, The Wishing Tree mural at Helman Elementary School
4. An amendment to the Transportation and Growth Management grant of $40,000 for the RSP update
5. Reconvening the Public Safety Bond Committee to evaluate options for expanding or relocating the Police Station and to evaluate possible funding options for the expansions or relocation. Council approved asking the Mayor to appoint and additional member who served on the Facilities Master Plan Committee to the existing list of Public Safety Bond Committee members.
6. Repealing the resolution which created the AFN Advisory Board.
VIII.1. Pilot Project for Road Diet on North Main.
Council heard testimony from nearly 30 people on the proposed pilot project. Council voted to move forward with the Hersey/Wimer realignment project and once completed, move forward with the North Main pilot road diet. Council directed staff to move as quickly as possible in order to complete the road diet prior to the start of the school year in 2012.
Council approved use of overlay funds for the Hersey/Wimer project and approved the Cooperative Improvement Agreement with ODOT for $115,000 to partially fund the pilot project.
XI.1. Historic District Standards.
Council approved the revisions to Ashland’s Historic District Design Standards with the revision to remove “wood shingles” from Section IV-B-9 and directed staff to prepare the relevant code amendments for implementation into the City’s land use approval process.
XI.2. Comment to the Council listserv.
Councilor Chapman has requested time to discuss the Comment to the Council listserv. This item was postponed to a subsequent meeting due to time constraints.