October 17, Study Session.
Council discussed allocation of ending fund balances and the economic, cultural and sustainability grant program. Both items will return to Council in future regular meetings for deliberation and decision.
October 18, 2011 Regular Meeting
Special Presentations & Awards
1) Partners of AFR updated the Council on their work over the past year. Recognition awards were presented to former Fire Chief Keith Woodley and former USFS District Ranger Linda Duffy for their leadership.
2) Councilor Slattery read a proclamation declaring October 16 – 22, 2011 as National Friends of the Library Week.
3) Mayor Stromberg presented a plaque to outgoing City Administrator Martha Bennett .
Consent items were approved including:
1. Minutes of the Boards, Commissions and Committees
2. A Liquor License Application from John Bohn dba Northwest Pizza.
3. A Liquor License Application from Xiao Yu dba Panda Garden
4. A Labor Agreement with the IBEW Electrical Union Local No. 659
5. The appointment of Larry Patterson as Interim City Administrator
6. The first quarterly update on the implementation of the Economic Development Strategy
7. A report from of discount and assistance programs in place to aid customers in paying their utility bills.
8. A telecommunication franchise for Sprint Communications.
9. An extension of the existing contract for legal services with Douglas McGeary.
VIII.1. Public Hearing on Buildable Lands Inventory.
Council heard a presentation on the City’s inventory of vacant and underdeveloped lands. Council will consider first reading of “An Ordinance Amending the City of Ashland Comprehensive Plan to Adopt the Buildable Lands Inventory as Supporting Documentation to the City of Ashland Comprehensive Plan” at their meeting on November 1, 2011.
X.1. Ad Hoc Homelessness Steering Committee.
Council deliberated on the proposals submitted by the committee at the last meeting and staff suggestions and took the following actions:
1) Council approved placement of a portable toilet adjacent to the recycling area in the Calle for a one year trial period.
2) Council voiced support for the concept of a Day Use Center in Ashland.
3) Council approved the placement of four donation boxes in the downtown area and encouraged the committee to work with the Chamber on appropriate signage.
4) Council did not approve the extension of the ad hoc Homelessness Committee beyond March 2012, but they will remain open to the possibility of extending the committee after the next report..
X.2. Biennial Budget.
This item was postponed to a future meeting due to time constraints.
X.3. Clarification of Proposed Agreement with MAA.
Council decided to go back to the amount negotiated with MAA for restoration, which is the amount set by the Forest Service in the SUP plus inflation.
XII.1. Ordinance fixing Quorum Requirements.
Council approved second reading of this ordinance.
XIII. Other Business from the Council. The item was postponed to a future meeting due to time constraints